Monday, April 19, 2010

Jeje People

I noticed how there's a massive anti-jejemon army in social networking sites such as Facebook and (the outdated) Friendster. Check around some more and you'll see other sites whose members are against the jejemons, too, like Tumblr, and even Blogger.

(Oh, in case you're unaware, jejemons are people who tYpE lYk dIs eHehE (^^,) I'm not sure how they got their name - probably because they don't laugh like eHehE anymore, but jEjEJe, instead.)

In my opinion, there's a limit to how people can exercise their freedom of speech. Yes, you can state how irritated you are by people who don't take into account proper grammar, spelling, and syntax, but you can't really judge, insult, or worst, fight them over their jEJe cApS. Come on, people. We're all much better than that.

These jejemons are still people. They eat, breathe, take a dump, experience old things and new things, experience hardships... in short, they're like us and we're like them. We're all equals.

And now, I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but wasn't there a time when we kind of typed like that, too? Maybe when we were in elementary, when that was the common way of texting our peers. Maybe we didn't use jEJe cApS, but I'm pretty sure we overused the word 'po', such as in "kumain ka na po ba? ^^" or "may kwento po ako sayo!" That was our standard; that standard still applies to other people. It's their comfortable way of expression. Do you want someone to, of the blue, disrespect you just because they don't like the way you express yourself?

Maybe education screwed us up, because many of us think that these jeje people are of a lower level than us. Come on, since when did typing improperly, mixed with the occasional baduy (which is subjective) ways of expression, equaled to being a lowlife?

These people are just doing their thing, very much like you and me. If you go out of your way just so you could insult them, then it's time to think about who really is of a lower level than the other.

8 comments:

Aryan said...

personally, they annoy the hell out me. like, you know, it's pretty annoying when you see that as much as possible, you wanna read peacefully then the expression JEJE would just pop. but yea, i agree with you. they are people, too. and i also see groups and fan pages in FB aggravating them lot. (as annoyed as i am, i won't go too far as being the fan of those pages coz that would make me a socially retarded like them.)

true enough, typing like that doesn't make them less of a human being, it's just that the society is so screwed up already they would go all the way as abuse the freedom of speech.

POST THIS TO YOUR FACEBOOK! :)

Irae said...

The jeje people are annoying but you're right. The jejemons isn't just a social phenomenon (like before), it kinda turned into a subculture.So it's a culture, that must be left alone. No matter how ANNOYING it is. The jejemon culture is subjective din also eh, diba?

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you 101%.My friend and I talked about how OA fanpages in Facebook are getting and we both agreed that it's the new 'in' thing for people. What's totally hilarious is that these people doing the 'discriminating' are the same ones who've JUST quit the 'jejemon lifestyle'. Dati pang maraming nagquit magtype in sticky caps pero ngayon lang 'nauso' ang pang-aapi sa kanila. It's insane. Some people actually say that jejemon people are the reason why Philippines is a poor country. OVER.

People like blaming someone. They also like looking down on people because it makes them think that they're better.

admin said...

The first time I saw this kind of text was like less than 2 years ago from a friend texting me with "ajejeje", thinking it was just some sort of a laugh. Ignoring the fact that the text was just her "word trippings" it became a social phenomenon at present, and honestly, it is kinda irritating right now to the eyes (unlike the old ajejeje thing) because you need to go back to Grade school to be able to understand the "entire text" well... @nG h1r@P p0wH b@z@h1n dI p0wHz bH@? It'd take you like 10 seconds unlike in a normal statement (in just a single glance)

So much for the old tale...

Fad, "in" thing, social phenomenon... name it... for it is "still" the talk of the "internet" or maybe the "real" world.

People just tend to talk s*** on other people because they get irritated of some sort, especially in these certain kinds of issues... and politics too, so to speak.

You may be pro, or against these people, but no one is to blame... it's like a virus that needs medical attention and not containing them like they have SARS or H1N1 ...

Maybe ignoring will do stop the disease... Pag ang batang nag-tatantrums hinayaan mo lang, kusa namang titigil

Anonymous said...

@RJ: Yup, I agree with you - it'll go away soon. I think people are just surprised at how there's a sudden boom of 'jejemons', thus an army of haters. The only word I could think of to describe it is "culture shock" :))

And yes, it took me a while to read that text :))

obsidiansands said...

They annoy the hell out of me. I know they're people... that they're humans who try to act bohemian... who try to find a new identity through a difference of expression.... but really... the first time I got that kind of message, it literally made me a bit cross-eyed in trying to decipher some sort of alien code. I get that its a fad, and that every now and then some people try to find new ways of expressing themselves... and like all fads, it should fade. We all know that later on something new a helluva lot more stranger fad will take it's place.

As to what you said about education screwing us up.... I'd say no. Each of us were brought up with a certain way of thinking via academic routes, with some leeway to adaptability depending on how we're also raised individually. What results in our reaction to Jejemons are from what we've learned in both areas. That's where some not-so-nice reactions come from. I admit that I am part of that type - also because I am sort of a ghost writer (and proof reader) in my spare time. The mini-editor in me becomes quite vexed at the mangling of either the Tagalog or English language. I've tolerated it though, and sometimes treat it as another offshoot language or dialect - it was easier that way, with less concussions to the literate side of my brain. At least jejetype is partly easier to decipher than Linear B.

tinamaan ka no? said...

tinamaan ang jejemon WAHAHAHAHA!

masakit talaga ang katotohanan jejemon!

Anonymous said...

@obsidiansands: I really like your comment, thanks :) The jejemons annoy majority of us, but because it has already become a subculture, it might be the standard of cool for these people to type that way.

All I could think about while I was writing the article was how my educated peers seemed to degrade the jejes, thus my take on education affecting our beliefs. But yup, you're right. Our upbringing and our culture also mold our opinions.

I miss Blogger

I miss writing. And I obviously am not as good a writer now as I was before because of my laziness. I have a harder time detailing my ideas,...