Thursday, April 23, 2009

A hostile welcome

It's funny how some people welcome viewers at their home page. For instance, one welcome message might read, "Hi. This is my blog/site, I can put whatever I want here. If you don't like what you see, then back off, hypocrite." HAHAHA. I always come across messages such as these, and my thoughts are always the same: "Wow, what a very friendly note XD"

This shows how some people expect the worst out of other people. In the example above, the owner of the site displays knowledge that some might not agree with his/her ideas - which is completely fine, as all of us differ in opinions - but he/she also assumes that he/she will be judged quickly because of it, thus giving off a warning. Well, yes, maybe you'll be judged for what you put up at your site - but don't you think that such a welcome message puts you in a worse light? With the strict tone, the negative stance, and the hostile approach, how can you not be thought of as a pessimist or, worse, a bitch (regardless of your gender)? Such a message might even turn people off and wouldn't make them bother checking your site out - and despite not seeing the contents of your web page, they would have already formed an ugly image of you in their heads.

I've been meaning to write about this for quite some time now. I don't have anything against people who do this, I promise - I'd just like to voice out how I, as a normal person, find such messages as an antithesis.

3 comments:

lea said...

I agree with you. Haha. This is just one of my web pet peeves. Grabe, even blogs that uses profane languages too! like, they cant stop saying bad words per sentence. kulang nalang sabihin ko, What you say reflects you and your personality, you know. :)) I mean, okay lang once in awhile, pero yung lage? :)) HAHA

WOW SORRY FOR RANTING :))

Anonymous said...

When one writes down and publishes his thoughts for the whole world to see, he should be open to whatever reactions he would receive. After all, we can't expect to please everybody, and the online world is freakin' vast. It's true that many people don't know how to disagree without being disagreeable, and it turns out some people also don't know how to take opposing opinion without being unnecessarily hostile.

Off topic, I looooove the Garfield background/

Ishna Probinsyana said...

I dont really like bloggers like those. Like yung mga bloggers na they want everyone to agree with what they think and blog.

Oh well, blog nga naman nila yun! *roll eyes*

I miss Blogger

I miss writing. And I obviously am not as good a writer now as I was before because of my laziness. I have a harder time detailing my ideas,...