Wednesday, January 09, 2008

You only lived to be 30

Dear Sparky,

I never expected you to leave like this. I thought you'd live long, just like Cindy, as you were so full of energy, and I feel that you had so much optimism in you. I know we have been cruel to you, keeping you locked in your cage for long periods of time, and took a walk with you only when we weren't lazy enough to do so. Maybe because of that and of forgetting to vaccinate you for two years have you come to depart with us so suddenly. Six years only, huh - you only lived to be 30.

I know I haven't shown you how deeply I loved you, as I was afraid that you'd jump over me and dirty my clothes, just like you also did. But know that if I could have, I would've played with you the whole day, then you'd chase me; if you get me then I'd laugh, go on my knees, and hug you tightly. I wish I did that.

Kyle and Bryan were shocked, too, you know - even more shocked than I was. I thought Bryan was going to cry, even. It was just a few minutes after your body was sent here that they arrived from school, and I told them, "You know what's inside that big plastic bag? Sparky." Kyle's eyes widened, but Bryan took the news badly. He kept repeating it to himself - that you left - took his bike, and got away. Got away from all of it. I went along with him, as I needed to take Cindy for a stroll, but the moment I lost sight of Bryan has he gotten himself in trouble. He was confronted by the mother of a certain school mate as he answered a polite question (by this school mate of his) ever so rudely. Of course, I fixed the trouble, but that mess made my heart even heavier than it already was.

You know, Sparky, even my parents are sad about it. As soon as I texted him, dad got sad and pitied you, but wanted to dispose of you immediately as he didn't want my brothers to see you. He knew we couldn't bear to see you like this. I remember the times when he himself took care of you when you were sick, giving you vitamins and buying human food for you to eat. I wonder, why didn't you want to eat your food as soon as you got sick? Oh, and mom - she called and asked about how we were going to put you in the ground. I know that that was too to the point, but I know deep inside she's grieving, like all of us are.

By the way, I know this is kind of cold: we didn't cry. But, hey, Ate Vangie did. She was the first to be informed of what happened, as she was the one the vet talked to. But anyway, when Kyle and Bryan arrived from school, I saw Ate Vangie; her eyes were red. I don't think I've ever seen her eyes red before.

Sparky, though we didn't cry, we miss you. I miss you terribly. The last time I saw you alive was... January 3? You were in a cage, at the vet. You had dextrose, you were weak, you weren't eating. And you had so much sand in your eyes. The vet said you had canine distemper. I didn't know what that was then, and I didn't think it was fatal. But I stand corrected.

I started to write this an hour ago, and just now, Ate Vangie, Bryan, and some neighborhood friends already took you and brought you to your resting place. I feel so sad right now, Sparky. I feel so guilty for not showing you the affection you needed. I feel bad for having locked you up for the 30 dog years you lived. You really deserved better.

Rest well.

No comments:

I miss Blogger

I miss writing. And I obviously am not as good a writer now as I was before because of my laziness. I have a harder time detailing my ideas,...