Sunday, November 11, 2007

Country confinement

I've been thinking about the youth in Japan as a friend of mine is one of them. I've been thinking about how lucky they are to be able to express themselves freely, with no restraints whatsoever. And that thought spun into another direction...

Are we, the young people, lucky to spend our teenage/youthful lives here in the Philippines? A country where we cannot trust anyone? A country where crime chooses no victim? A country where we, as the youth, are the main victims of rape, robbery, and more? And with all these, we can't express ourselves freely just about anywhere; we have so much to protect ourselves from that it feels as if we're being strangulated by limitations.

Confines - there are so many being carried by the Filipino youth. Aside from that is the constant vigilance and conventionalism we have to carry out, as when we lose one of them, danger is one step closer to us. So many restrictions, so little time to enjoy our youth.

According to Kafka on the Shore, a book by Haruki Murakami, every theory must have a counter theory in order for science to continually grow. That said, why are we lucky to be the youth of the Philippines? We're fortunate as we get to know the real world at a young age. We are made to see the realities of life and become aware of how we are supposed to behave. We become aware of the fact that not everyone has good intentions. Also, we come to know that, though the world is such a dangerous place, we could actually protect ourselves. We could actually survive.

Though I find myself quite unfortunate to be held back of my boundaries, I try my best to think of that counter theory which, when I think about it, is much more important in our lives than the theory.

---

Saw this at Bia's blog and decided to try it.


cash advance


I'm not sure if this is applicable to my blog. Is it?

1 comment:

dianish said...

ay sorry! college (undergrad) level pa.hehe;p

I miss Blogger

I miss writing. And I obviously am not as good a writer now as I was before because of my laziness. I have a harder time detailing my ideas,...