Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Thank you, Jerry Plak

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight."
-Proverbs 3:5


I honestly don't know how to start this.

Maybe that's God's message for me. You've just got to believe in Me, don't have any second thoughts, He says. Because right now, I'm really disturbed. Why did God make some people poor, some people rich? What's His basis?

---

I met a street kid today as I was going home. I rode a jeepney, and I was halfway through the ride when he went in. He was short, maybe about 4"2'-4"5'. His hair was short and gleamed brown in the sun. He had scabs on his hands and feet, and his fingernails were dirty. Yet, despite of this, he looked innocent. His eyes were... just so sad.

As he entered, the driver and the conductor shouted at him, telling him to get out as he didn't have any jeepney fare. But he didn't, so they let him sit instead as he was blocking the passengers' way. He then eyed on the seat beside me.

When the boy sat beside me, I stared at him for a long time. I wanted to talk to him badly. I wanted to know his name, his age, whether he was schooling or not. I wanted to know where his destination was and I wanted to know if he has eaten. It took me a long time, but I finally had the courage to talk to him when he faced my direction.

"Hello," I said, "ano pangalan mo (what's your name)?"

I was afraid that he might be frightened and not reply, but instead he did. "Jerry," he said.

"Nag-aaral ka ba (are you schooling)?"

"Opo. Grade one po (Yes, grade 1)."

"Ah... Ilang taon ka na ba (how old are you)?"

"Kinse (fifteen)."

I was a bit surprised that he was already fifteen, as he said that he was at the first grade. And for his frame, he's easily mistaken for a ten-year-old.

He continued, "Pero pinatigil po ako ng nanay ko kasi wala na kaming pera (but my mom let me stop as we don't have money anymore)."

"Ganon? Ilang taon ka na hindi nakakapag-aral (How many years has it been since you stopped schooling)?"

"Walong taon na po (Eight years)."

This, of course, broke my heart. Education is important, especially today when we need the youth to uplift our system. But so many kids are like Jerry, who has stopped schooling, and with that, how can we hope to have a brighter future for our country?

We talked more. Jerry said that he was going to stop at Binangonan, as he lives there with his father and grandmother, and that he's going to beg for food in the wet market near his home. I asked if he had any siblings, and he said he did, but they were living in Cagayan, their province.

"Bakit di ka nalang din doon sa Cagayan? Baka palagi kang may makain doon (Why don't you stay there in Cagayan, too? Maybe you'll always have something to eat there)." and to that question, he didn't answer. He kept silent.

I noticed that some of the passengers were looking at us, and I wanted to know what they thought about me talking to a street kid. A dirty, maybe dangerous, street kid. Were their thoughts more of the positive ("Wow, how kindhearted,") or negative ("This girl doesn't know what she's getting herself into,")? Either way, nothing was going to stop me from helping Jerry out.

I got very sad when Jerry asked me a supposedly happy query. He asked, "Ilang araw nalang po bago mag-Pasko (How many days are there until Christmas)?" I thought to myself, why? Are you looking forward to Christmas, Jerry? My heart became very heavy, and up to now it still is.

Then a question entered my mind, "Jerry," I asked, "ano ginagawa mo para magkapera ka pambili ng pagkain? Wag ka mag-alala, sa ating dalawa lang (What do you do so that you'd have money to buy food? Don't worry, it'll only be between both of us)."

His answer changed my whole perspective regarding street children. "Namamalimos ako (I beg)," He continued "Hindi po ako nagnanakaw. Masama po iyon (stealing is bad)."

I was changed. All my life, I thought street children would end up as criminals, because for one thing, they are uneducated, and aside from that, they grew up in a harsh environment and are made to experience life's realities too early. I never, ever thought that, despite this, street children would still listen to that little voice inside of them, telling them what's right and wrong. I was completely wrong, all my life.

I told Jerry that instead of going down to Binangonan, he could come with me so that I could buy him food. He agreed, and when the jeepney stopped at Brookside, I went down. I brought Jerry to a carinderia and told him to order whatever he wanted. He smiled shyly and said that he wanted tocilog. So, tocilog it was, and I just sat beside him. He then told me, "Ate, maraming salamat po talaga (thank you very, very much)" I smiled and told him that it was okay.

So he ate. I paid for his food and watched him eat. He asked for some catsup, and he also gulped down many glasses of water before and after he ate. It was just heartbreaking, seeing someone like him. It was sad to see him joyfully eat his meal, being aware that he doesn't experience that sort of happiness all the time. That after all this, he'd still go to the market and beg for food to bring home to his family. So I got a piece of paper, wrote my telephone and cellphone number, and gave it to him. "Kung kailangan mo tulong ko, tawagan mo lang ako (If you need my help, just call me)." I told him not to give my number to anyone else and not to call me on weekends, as I don't want dad to answer the phone. If he does, he'll surely get mad at me for getting involved with some street kid. He promised, and held the piece of paper.

After eating, I told him that I'll buy rice for him. So we went to a store and bought 2 kilos of rice; that was all the help I could give. I only had P100 left from my allowance, and I was upset that the amount of help I could give him was limited. And so, after that, I asked him to accompany me to the trike station, and when we got there, we parted ways.

When I think about what has happened, I couldn't help but wonder why things are this way. Why God made some people rich, some people poor. I'm just so confused. And I don't want to rant anymore about my faith as I don't want you to question yours.

I think this really is my calling, to help the poor. I have felt this for a long time. I seem to have so much sympathy towards them, and I really, honestly, always give what I could to them, especially the children. Maybe I'm made to build a school that offers free education for street children, a dream which I have thought about only just this school year. I want to change the future of the people. I want to give everyone better lives. It's my calling; all this time it was.





Thank you, Jerry Plak.



---

Standing L-R: April, Dian, Shan, Hams, Joan

Seated L-R: Jenny, Kring, Che



Happy 3 years and 10 months to the wackiest clique in the whole wide world, Kada Siete. I miss you guys so much.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Scholastican in you is very much alive :D

Lux in Domino, ika nga. :)

Anonymous said...

i'm so touched. :) i remembered when i was in HS, meron din ako tinutulungan na street child.. i gave her food everyday, sometimes kahit wala na ako allowance, yung kakainin ko ibinibigay ko sa kanya. The funny thing is, I still don't know her name. I even gave her clothes and slippers kase palagi ko sya nakikita wearing the same things kahit sira na... Medyo tingin nga sken ng mga tao is stupid, kase tinataboy nila yung bata tapos they told me dapat pabayaan ko daw..

anyways, ayun, tinutulungan ko sya until that day na bigla sya nawala. i didn't know where she lives so hindi ko alam kung ano ang iisipin ko.. until this day, hindi ko pa rin alam kung ano nangyari sa kanya. sana lang eh maayos sya.

I admire what you did for the kid. It's not everyday that persons like you do the same thing.

And yea, I also believe God has a basis for everything. We don't know what it is, and maybe we aren't meant to know. I think that is the reason why we have faith.

Disturbing as it is, just pray. :]

Anonymous said...

Arianne - Wow, you helped the kid so much. I'm sure she'll never forget you. Kasi nga yung mga street children tinataboy ng mga tao, gaya ng sinabi mo, kaya kung tinutulungan sila tumatatak iyon sa isip nila. They'll realize na some people still care. I hope more people will be like you. :)

Aby - Thanks. I know the Scholastican in you is very much alive, too. :)

Tricia Yson said...

I used to be hesitant in helping streetkids for I thought, it's their parents responsibility to feed them and all. But yea, I gave in. I couldn't help it. I too, met a Jerry but he's gay. and his sister too. hehe. It was a bit funny for I offered them food and they requested for a MCDO. and I gave his sister undies and Toto (the gay boy)asked me for a bra. :]]

and yes, more than fulfillment, it gives me this certain high that though I din't get to help much to many, I've helped some and for sure that would be a big deal in itself.
but it kinda sucks diba for some people, they do it just for the reputation and to get the awws of most people.

but anyway, that was so kind of you. :) jerry's heart, more than his stomach, must've been so filled . :)

Ninin said...

wow, what a moving tale! It is people like you whom I really admire. Keep it up! I just know you'd make a difference in this world. =)

dianish said...

Wow Kring! :) That story is touchiiiinngg :)

JoiceyTwenty said...

touched :D let me know if you're pushing through with the school. I seriously want to help.

btw, my last name's carrido.

Anonymous said...

owkay..me = speechless.

the world needs more "kring"s...
I mean, some people don't have that mentality of yours and the HEART. I'm really touched. Thank you so much for the post. heartbreaking nga. Because i started putting myself on their shoes. What would it be like? Some people didn't even value education that much and it was so unfair how people who wanted education so badly weren't given the chance to be educated.

I went to this convention last time in cebu entitled VRYLI, Rizal youth leadership institute. and we talked so much about helping people out and the Phil for that matter. Life changing it was actually. And i was stunned by so many conflicts and wrong-doings. I somehow realized that the world does need lotsa love. You cared for that 15-year old and you deserved a pat on the back and a praise.--

how heart-warming it was to realize that there are still some urchins [as people call them] who valued honesty above all virtues.^_^ I'm happy, and so inspired. Let's pray for Jerry. He deserves God's blessing. May God work wonders to him.

As for you, very inspiring thing to do kring, I'm very proud of you!^_^

I miss Blogger

I miss writing. And I obviously am not as good a writer now as I was before because of my laziness. I have a harder time detailing my ideas,...